- Diabetics are prone to developing diabetic eye disease.
- This risk is considerably increased when the blood sugar control is not optimal.
- Every diabetic should be checked by an ophthalmologist every year
- If any signs of diabetes appear, the earlier they are treated the better the outcome so delaying consulting a specialist could have serious consequences.
- Most commonly, diabetic eye disease presents with a reduction in vision but by the time this is noticed by the patient the disease is often quite advanced.
- Regular screening and good control remain the only ways to prevent irreversible vision loss.